Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Zagreb and working & working in Zagreb

Hello to my Kin Folk, friends and fellow draft lovers,

I am actually working in Zagreb. Almost as if I were in Cincinnati except my commute is longer. Today I rode 'my' bicycle to work.

I work in a building with about 25 other people. (They all work for a software company and a handmade religious articles company - I just use whichever desk is open and bounce around a bit.)

The lady who owns the business is very generous and feeds her workers every day (and me). Yesterday I took a walk (I am trying hard to exercise every day and haven't eaten bread at all in almost 6 weeks (with the exception of beer) and ran into someone I knew.

Weird - odd - fun experience. Mirza spotted me and said "Matthew"? We talked for a minute and he wanted to introduce me to the lady running his wig shop (yes - wig shop). We went in and he just said (in Croatian) "guess who I have with me" She said "Tajci's husband Matthew". No pause and I'd never seen her in my life!

Mirza was AMAZED - he said "how did you know?" She just laughed and said "everyone knows".

He wanted to 'take a coffee' and I (after years of living with a Croatian I finally learned how to speak and get across what I want) said "first we will walk and move our bodies and THEN sit for coffee". We walked and chatted and it was lovely.

The boys are in camp this week. From 8:30-4:30. They play soccer and tennis and then bike to a rock climbing place then bike to lunch and then bike to a swimming place. Goran runs it (actually owns it - and manages it). Really cool ideas and keeping the kids moving from activity to actively on their own power.

They eat at a mom and pop restaurant and swear it is the best food in the world (but we make sure not to tell Stefica).

Pretty peaceful this week. Tajci is running around doing music video's, editing and getting ready for the big festival next week. She is in HEAVEN getting make up, hair, wardrobe, photo shoots etc. Thank GOD I am on my own and able to do my thing :)

Last week I got up early Sunday morning and hiked up their local mountain Sljeme (pronounce it the way it is spelled). I didn't know what to expect but was going along with a 52 year old so I figured... how hard can it be.

I was wrong - these people are insane.

We went up an AVERAGE 14% grade (I know because I read the sign.. the rest probably said "this is a very hard trail not made for normal people" - but it was in Croatian so I missed it). 
Zero stops. Straight up. No switchbacks. The sign also said "2 sat" (hours). We did it in 1.5 but old men (ok only one old man and a bunch of young men) literally RAN PAST ME around the time I was wondering how I got into this situation.

We got to the top. Had a drink of water and then we walked to ... (you'd never believe it) mass. A teeny tiny little chapel on top of the mountain. JAMMED full of other crazy people who ... you guessed it - walked up the mountain.

I LOVED IT. (not the mass - the concept - the day I love mass has yet to arrive...

However, I have always loved the END of mass. I guess that is a good start.

God is good.

Happy to be here and enjoy the every day adventures.

tmblwd
Zagreb, Croatia

No comments: