Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Failure is relative

I have a fascinating topic of conversation that seems to come up every couple of days (in Croatia):
Failure.

The fear of failure is very very serious. It seems that failure is seen as a permanent mark - reflects upon the family etc.

In my experience in America I believe failure is viewed MUCH differently. I grew up with stories of various grand and great grand parents and uncles trying every possible endeavors. The "failures" seemed only to clarify the persons fortitude, good humor and tenacity.

How many of us were taught about Abe Lincoln losing every conceivable election - and then winning the Presidency.

I was reminded of these conversations when I stumbled across this quote:

__________________
A man is not finished when he's defeated; he's finished when he quits.

No comments: