Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Sljeme by bike

I was feeling a little claustrophobic yesterday and decided that after the kids finished homework and judo I'd take off for a bike ride.

I wanted to ride to Sljeme but wasn't sure of the way... fortunately it is the only mountain and generally if you are going UP you are more than likely going correct.

I took off around 1pm (maybe 1:30).  Rode to the Center.   Then the Cathedral.  Then found the street I was pretty sure went the right way.  Then rode generally uphill.  Then found a little market and bought bread, meat and cheese from the deli (they didn't and wouldn't sell me a sandwich).  Then I found my way to the 'fountain' I'd seen the previous week (with Ivica when we walked to mass).  I asked around but couldn't get a good answer on 'where is the bike trail'.  Found myself in the woods on a very small barely walkable trail pushing the bike (truly no idea where I was but kept heading in the general 'up' direction.  Took a break to think and tried calling Goran for advise (go back... or?)  Then saw a human head FLY by me about 50 yards away.  Knew it much be someone on a bike.  Walked with bike through the woods - found the bike trail and proceeded 'up'.  Walked and rode (about 50/50) to the top. Took quite a while.  Made it to the tippy top and ate a nice bowl of soup.  Was cold, tired and very stiff.  Started home. Took trails - hard to see obstacles due to leaves.  Exciting decent.  Harder physically than expected due to huge need of alertness and tensed to react.  Crashed once - not badly.  Made it down.  Rode to center. Sat and read and people watched.  Rode slowly home.  Showered.  Tajci was very tired so I went out with Goran and Ivanica and talked till around midnight.

Very good day.  Google maps says approx. 22.3 km (one way).  Works out to approx. 27 miles.  1/2 up. 1/2 down.

I will edit my little clips into one video later.




No comments: